A venomous snake piece an employee in the San Diego Zoo on Monday, according to zoo officials.  

A zoo spokesperson said the wildlife maintenance specialist  was immediately  transported to a hospital for evaluation and medical care. The incident occurred while the employee was caring for the reptile in a non-public location.  

Even though the San Diego Zoo cares for several venomous reptiles, incidents such as this are extremely rare, and the snake was contained at all times with no chance of an escape, the zoo said in a statement to USA TODAY.  

The snake included is an African bush viper, also known as  Atheris squamigera. Native to parts of western and central Africa, their venom can cause fever, hemorrhaging and possibly death in humans, according to the University of Michigan’s Museum of Zoology site .

‘Snake-pocalypse’? :Florida plans ban on possessing pythons, many other ‘high-risk’ reptiles

Fact check: Image of seven-headed snake is an old hoax

There’s absolutely no known antivenom for an African bush viper’s venom, according to the Seneca Park Zoo in Rochester, New York.  

However, patients may be treated for their snacks using antivenom created for different snakes’ venom. This was true in January 2015 when the Dallas Zoo helped with the treatment of a local guy  bitten by an African bush viper that he had been maintaining in his home, though owning one of these snakes is illegal in Dallas and Fort Worth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *